Have you ever considered how your emotions affect others? Our emotions are very powerful and can quickly influence our mood and those around us, especially while working in a team.
Being aware of our emotions and learning ways to manage them can make a tremendous difference in our interactions with others and overall success in life. Without a doubt, we will get along better with others when we are better able to manage our emotions.
How emotions impact the workplace
Workplaces often require individuals to labour collaboratively in teams, and it takes a strong leader to help manage those teams effectively. When it comes to ensuring teams work cohesively it is vital that leaders have an awareness of emotional contagion and its potential impact on the team.
Often providing emotional intelligence training can make a significant difference to the team’s overall development and efficiency, thus positively impacting overall productivity and profitability.
Understanding the ripple effect of our emotions
To really understand the impact your emotions have on others, you need to practice observing them. The next time you’re interacting with a group of colleagues, friends or family members and you’re sharing information using uncontrolled emotions try exercising the following;
- Examine the facial expression and body language of your audience immediately after you finish speaking.
- Consider how your emotions affected the individuals around you.
- Did others give you eye contact in support of what you were saying, or did they look away during or when you finished speaking?
- Write down how your uncontrolled emotions affected those around you.
- Consider how you could share the information differently if you had better control of your emotions.
- Choose one or two of the people who observed your behaviour and privately ask them how it affected them.
- Continue to monitor how your emotions on how they affect others.