If you have ever let a negative thought impact the positive outcome of your day, you could be the obstacle in your way!
Did you know you have approximately 50,000 thoughts per day and there’s a distinct connection between what you think and feel, both physically and emotionally?
Regret, guilt, worry, anxiety. Do any of these emotions play a role in your thoughts? If so, those thoughts are negatively affecting you. They are thoughts and feelings that are obstacles preventing you from moving forward.
The thoughts that cloud your decisions
Do you ever find that making a simple decision isn’t simply due to thoughts such as, ‘but what about’ or ‘I feel bad’ or ‘what if’ – all of these cloud decision making. These are obstacles that prevent you from being positive and trusting in yourself and others
What if those obstacles weren’t there?
They don’t have to be! If you keep your thoughts positive, self-trusting and focused on moving forward those negative thoughts will diminish.
Due diligence is always needed. Logically think about the situation and then allow positive thinking and trust to lead you.
Simple steps to becoming more self-aware
Remember, negative self-talk is an obstacle that can rule your thoughts, derail you and plunge you into a descending emotional spiral! That’s why developing your emotional intelligence and in particular, your self-awareness is essential. It will help you learn what the obstacles are that are holding you back and how to self-manage your inner thoughts.
6 tips to ensure you’re NOT the obstacle in your way:
- Train your thoughts to be positive.
- Change the words: always or never into just ‘this time’ or ‘sometimes’.
- Make sure you treat situations as unique and separate to other situations.
- Be careful not to transfer one mistake to all situations.
- Use factual statements like, “I made an error or mistake” instead of judgmental statements like “I’m an idiot.
- Always accept responsibility for your actions and don’t blame others.