You, too, can visualize like an Olympic athlete. They compete to be the best in their sport, as they prepare, many envision themselves standing on the podium with a gold medal draped around their neck. This visualization technique helps them reach success.
Many athletes use visualization techniques as part of the mental component of their training.
For example, hockey players visualize success as they head toward the puck. They see the puck going into the net as they swing their stick to propel the round black piece of rubber forward. Skiers visualize an unbeaten run down the slopes completed in record-setting time.
Visualization can be a useful tool for creating a path to success!
Visualizing is necessary to establish neural pathways in our brain to develop skills into habits. What we see with your eyes, and the image we visualize in our mind makes it challenging for our brain to distinguish between the two.
Research shows that MRI scans done on individuals who are viewing a colourful sunset are virtually the same as the scans done on those visualizing one in their minds. It’s amazing the tricks we can play on our minds!!
Here are some techniques to step up your visualization game:
- Find a quiet spot where you can be mindful and concentrate without any distractions.
- Close your eyes and focus on what you want to happen.
- Create a positive mindset. Let go of the past and reframe negative thoughts to positive ones: use a “glass is half-full” attitude.
- Start to visualize the personal traits that are required to reach your goals.
- Visualize yourself going through the steps necessary to succeed.
- Use affirmations like pictures and words to reinforce your success.
Visualization is an excellent way to end your day, and if you continue practising these techniques, you can work through challenging situations and strengthen this skill. Ultimately, we’re in control of our actions, finding success through positive visualization will help us stay focused and calm.