Journaling is a process to enhance your journey in the pursuit of excellence. Here's a list of unexpected ways reflection and writing will transform your life, including increasing your emotional intelligence.
Beyond Words: How Journaling Can Revolutionize Your Personal Growth Journey
The hidden benefits of putting pen to paper are surprising and inspiring! The journaling process impacts us tremendously by providing a means of reflection on our behaviour. My coaching clients often use it to measure their personal and professional success.
Journaling To Excellence
The journey to excellence is one of constant self-improvement, and I, like many, have been on the journey for some time, focusing on my self-awareness and emotional intelligence. Indisputably, journaling is a practice that inspires excellence.
Recently, I have been paying close attention to my need for a high activity level, often leading me to take on too much. I've realized that excellence is more a matter of balance than volume. The journey continues as I actively and honestly look inside myself through reflection, writing my thoughts and tracking my progress.
Create A Journaling Practice
Countless individuals enjoy journaling; some may be reluctant due to a lack of understanding of the benefits. Journaling is thinking on paper and is an essential step in our pursuit of excellence. Writing our thoughts down helps us measure our goals and become more reflective. How can we hope to become our best without taking the time for self-reflection?
Begin by creating a practice that works for you. Find an ideal time to write three times per week. Some find that journaling first thing in the morning or last thing at the end of the day works well. Once you create your journaling routine, you’re on your path to excellence.
Writing Down Your Thoughts
When I first began to write down my thoughts, I struggled to find the time to do it. Then I noticed that my determination to correct all the words slowed my momentum and my joy for writing. I found myself examining the grammar and punctuation; I wanted perfection, but then I realized that excellence of expression means giving yourself the freedom to not worry about technicalities. Journaling became much more comfortable and less frustrating once I began to write freely, writing whatever came to mind. There is always time to edit afterwards once our thoughts are on paper.
10 Shocking Ways Journaling Will Enhance Your Life
We are sharing Thai Nguyen's suggested 10 Benefits of Journaling:
- Stretching Your IQ | Research indicates that "One of the best single measures of overall intelligence as measured by intelligence tests is vocabulary." When most write we are inclined to explore different words and phrases, which ultimately increase vocabulary.
- Evoking Mindfulness | Journaling your feelings and thoughts helps you move past upset and anxiety – increasing your mindfulness. When it comes to increasing mindfulness, many experience a strong connection to inner peace and happiness.
- Achieving Goals | When we start Journaling, we will notice patterns of our future goals and dreams. Writing them down is the first step to achieving them.
- Emotional Intelligence | Emotional Intelligence is the ability to perceive and manage your emotions, and that of others. When we write down our feelings, we are effectively processing those emotions, leading to increased self-awareness.
- Boosting Memory and Comprehension | Nguyen shares, "There's a unique relationship between the hand and brain, sparked by the composition of thoughts and ideas. Words are representations of ideas; the formation of letters and causes the mind to compose or re-compose ideas while Journaling."
- Strengthen Your Self-Discipline | Sculpting out the time to write takes self-discipline, especially considering the hectic lives most live. The more you discipline yourself, the easier it will become.
- Improve Communication Skills | Journaling is a form of written communication and if you can strive to increase your writing, your communication skills will also enhance.
- Healing | Nguyen explains that "expressive writing is a route to healing — emotionally, physically, and psychologically." Furthermore, Journaling allows us to process our emotions, which helps lower stress and anxiety.
- Spark Your Creativity | As I mentioned before, when you can start Journaling in a free flow manner - writing whatever comes to mind – you will start to see thoughts and ideas you never knew you had. Writing this way will help spark creativity.
- Self-Confidence | Nguyen advises, "Journaling about a positive experience allows your brain to relive it. And reaffirms your abilities when the ugly head of self-doubt appears. The release of endorphins and dopamine will boost your self-esteem and mood."
As you work to incorporate a journaling practice into your life, patience and consistency are crucial in forming new habits. Our self-reflection and writing will improve with practice, making the process more enjoyable. Enjoy your writing journey to excellence. Check out many more motivational blogs here.
This article was originally published on August 12, 2017, and has been updated (August 2023).
How Emotionally Intelligent Are You?
Sign up for Linda’s monthly tips to build your Emotional Intelligence and reduce Emotional Hijacking!