Enhance happiness and become more mindful while baking during COVID-19. Try Linda’s Sweet Potato Turkey Tacos recipe today!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin divided
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. You can also cook them the night before in a crockpot. Let the potatoes rest until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Reserve the skins. Mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Stir in the olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up, until cooked. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, remaining ¾ teaspoon cumin, oregano, paprika, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper—Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Then top each one with 1 tablespoon grated cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Garnish with parsley.