If you were asked to share an inspiring speech to a group of college graduates, what would you say? Recently, I was both humbled and
While I was pleased and grateful for this achievement, one I never considered a possibility, it provided me with the opportunity to sit back and reflect. During my time of reflection, I thought about the many opportunities I’ve had in my life and lessons I’ve learned along the way.As I wrote my speech for Mohawk College’s Spring Business Convocation I took a long and thoughtful walk down memory lane to select inspiring lessons to share with the graduates.
Lessons I Learned Along the Way
- Remember you’re now joining the Life Long Learner Club.
- You Are the Author of Your life – You hold your destiny in the palm of your hands. You have total control of your success moving forward.
- Your Achievement Drive will either elevate you to success or drive you into the ground - keep in mind how hard you want to work to achieve your dreams.
- Enhancing your emotional intelligence will really make a difference to your success in your personal and professional life.
- Be cognizant of your strengths and the areas you need to improve upon - This will enhance your self-awareness and develop your self-confidence.
- Follow Your Passion – you will need it to keep you motivated!
- Often our biggest obstacle is ourselves! Be careful that you don’t become the obstacle in your way.
- Make your goals public – people can’t support you if they don’t know where you’re going.
- Learn from others, ask questions, don't ever stop being curious.
- Move forward thoughtfully and cautiously and don’t be afraid to fall down because you will…we all do. You will be defined by your resiliency, not by your mistakes.
- Embrace your challenges, no matter how painful they are. Challenges are opportunities that strengthen our core.
- I believe in living your legacy - think about what you’re projecting to others and visit your values regularly.
- Keep it real, authenticity is key.
- Never give up! If something doesn’t work continue to work on it until you find the solution and don’t be afraid to ask others for help.